If you’re looking to succeed with subscriptions on your eCommerce store, there are a few key strategies you should consider implementing for Shopify Subscription Success in 2023.
Subscription products are designed to provide ongoing value to customers and create a long-term relationship …but what if you’re doing it all wrong?
If your subscription products are set up incorrectly, you could be missing out on lots of potential sales!
With our helpful tips, we’ll teach you the best ways to gain new customers and keep your existing subscribers happy.
By having optimized subscription products on your Shopify store, this can help you create more predictable revenue streams and build a loyal customer base.
In this guide, you’ll learn everything you need to know for maximizing subscription revenue for your Shopify Store in 2023.
Here are 11 ways to boost your subscription sales and drive success for your business:
Watch our Youtube Video-
Shopify Subscription Tips for 2023
#1 Offer Build A Box Subscriptions
A build a box subscription feature allows customers to create their own customized subscription boxes by selecting from a range of products offered by your ecommerce store.
This can be a great way to drive sales and fuel the growth of your store, as it allows customers to tailor their Shopify subscriptions to their individual preferences and needs.
There are several benefits to implementing a build a box feature for subscriptions on your ecommerce store:
- Increased customer loyalty: By allowing customers to create their own personalized subscriptions, you can encourage them to return to your store on a regular basis to replenish their boxes. This can help increase customer loyalty and retention.
- Increased sales: Customers who are able to customize their subscriptions are more likely to make larger, more frequent purchases. This can lead to increased sales for your store.
- Improved customer satisfaction: A build a box feature allows customers to select products that they are genuinely interested in, rather than being limited to a predetermined selection. This can lead to higher levels of customer satisfaction and a better overall customer experience.
- Increased brand awareness: By offering a build a box subscription feature, you can increase brand awareness as customers share their customized boxes with friends and family. This can help drive more traffic to your store and attract new customers.
In conclusion, a build a box feature for subscriptions can be a great way to drive sales, increase customer loyalty, and fuel the growth of your ecommerce store.
By allowing customers to customize their subscriptions, you can improve customer satisfaction, increase sales, and increase brand awareness.
#2 Upgrade to a New Shopify 2.0 Theme
I had a merchant call me the other day and ask if there’s anything he could do to improve his website to be optimized for Shopify subscription sales.
He said he was doing well with subscriptions, and just wanted to grow even more. I liked the guy.
I said let me go on your website and see what I see right off the bat.
Immediately, I noticed he had a very outdated theme. This was a huge opportunity for him, to upgrade to a new Shopify 2.0 theme for the new year.
Although his product was amazing and his customers loved his products, what might new shoppers think about the brand if they see an older looking website? This could lead to loss in shopper confidence.
Having an older, outdated Shopify theme could be losing you sales and potentially harming your revenue.
Check out our list of Best Shopify Themes 2022 for Subscriptions, we particularly like Grid by Pixel Union.
#3 Create a Call to Action
A call to action (CTA) is crucial for any website. It is a statement or button that prompts the user to take a specific action, such as making a purchase, signing up for a newsletter, or downloading a resource.
We recommend having a “Subscribe & Save” call to action on your homepage with a button.
With a clear CTA, it can be easier for visitors to know what to do next on your website.
There are several reasons why a CTA is vital for a website:
- It guides the user: A CTA helps guide the user toward the next step in the conversion process. By providing a clear path for the user to follow, you can increase their chances of taking the desired action.
- It increases conversions: A well-placed CTA can significantly increase conversions on your website. By making it easy for users to take the next step, you can turn more visitors into customers.
- It helps define the purpose of your website: A CTA helps define the purpose of your website and what you want the user to do. With a CTA, the user may know what the main goal of your website is, which can lead to clarity and a lack of action.
- It helps measure the success of your website: By tracking the performance of your CTAs, you can get a better understanding of what is working and what is not. This can help you optimize your website for maximum conversions.
A CTA is an essential element of any website. It helps guide the user, increase conversions, define the purpose of your website, and measure the success of your website.
Be sure to include clear and compelling CTAs on your website to drive desired actions from your users.
#4 Adjust Subscription Product Prices
It is important to periodically edit the prices on your ecommerce store to adjust for inflation in order to maintain a healthy profit margin.
If you do not increase your prices to account for the rising cost of goods and services, your profit margin will shrink over time.
This can make it difficult for your business to sustain itself and grow.
By regularly adjusting your prices to account for inflation, you can ensure that you are able to continue making a profit and supporting the growth of your business.
It is also important to consider your competition and market conditions when determining your pricing strategy to ensure that your prices are competitive and profitable.
#5 Offer Free Shipping on Subscriptions
Offering free shipping for subscription products on your ecommerce store can be a great sales strategy for several reasons:
Increased customer loyalty: By offering free shipping for subscription products, you can encourage customers to sign up for recurring orders, which can lead to increased customer loyalty and retention.
Increased sales: Customers are often more likely to make a purchase if they are not required to pay for shipping. By offering free shipping for subscription products, you can increase the chances of making a sale and boost your overall sales.
Improved customer satisfaction: Customers appreciate the convenience of free shipping, and offering it for subscription products can help improve their overall satisfaction with your store. This can lead to positive reviews and word-of-mouth referrals, which can drive more traffic to your store.
Increased competitiveness: By offering free shipping for subscription products, you can differentiate your store from competitors and make it more attractive to potential customers.
Offering free shipping for subscription products an increase customer loyalty, sales, customer satisfaction, and competitiveness, all of which can help fuel the growth of your business.
#6 Create a Newsletter Sign Up
Capturing leads and website traffic through a newsletter signup is an important marketing strategy for several reasons.
First, it allows you to stay in touch with potential customers and keep them informed about new products, promotions, and other updates. This can help drive sales and increase customer loyalty.
If you have a new subscription product launching or a new flavor, you can announce it in your newsletter email.
Second, it allows you to gather valuable data about your target audience, including their interests, preferences, and behavior.
This can help you tailor your marketing efforts and improve the effectiveness of your campaigns.
Finally, capturing leads and website traffic through a newsletter signup allows you to build a database of potential customers that you can market to later, helping you to generate long-term revenue and drive the growth of your business.
#7 Make Subscriptions Easy to Find
There are several strategies you can use to promote important products on your website so that shoppers can find them within two clicks or less:
- Promote important subscription products on your homepage: One of the most effective ways to make important products easily accessible to shoppers is to feature them prominently on your homepage. This could include using large images, prominent call-to-action buttons, or other visual elements to draw attention to the products.
- Use clear and intuitive navigation: Make sure your website has a clear and intuitive navigation structure that allows shoppers to easily find what they are looking for. This could include using categories, subcategories, and filters to help shoppers drill down to the specific products they are interested in.
- Use search functionality: Offer a search bar on your website that allows shoppers to easily search for specific products by keyword. Make sure your website’s search functionality is fast and accurate, and consider using auto-complete or predictive search to help shoppers find what they are looking for more quickly.
- Use internal linking: Use internal linking to promote important products on your website by linking to them from other pages. This can help improve the visibility of your products and make them easier to find for shoppers.
- Create an HTML Site Sitemap: Although Shopify does not automatically include an HTML sitemap with your website, you can easily generate one with the Sitemap Builder app.
By implementing these strategies, you can make it easier for shoppers to find important products on your website within two clicks or less, which can help improve the user experience and drive sales for your business.
#8 Offer Multiple Subscription Options
By offering a variety of subscription options, you can appeal to a wider range of customers and increase your chances of making a sale.
Consider offering monthly, quarterly, and annual subscriptions, as well as different pricing tiers to accommodate different budgets.
We recommend offering a subscription box if that would work for your brand.
It’s also a great idea to let customers customize their own subscription box by using Ongoing’s Build a Box feature.
Also if you have only one frequency option on your subscription plans, consider adding two more options as 3 subscription frequencies is the sweet spot.`
#9 Create a Subscription Landing Page
A landing page is a standalone web page, created specifically for the purpose of a marketing or advertising campaign.
We recommend creating a landing page dedicated to all things subscriptions.
The Subscription landing page is designed to direct the visitor to take a specific action, such as making a purchase or filling out a form for more information.
You can link to your subscription landing page from social media, email campaigns, or online advertisements.
There are several benefits to having a landing page on your website to promote a special program such as subscriptions:
- Increased conversions: A landing page is designed to focus on a specific action, and this can help increase the conversion rate of visitors.
- Better targeting: A landing page allows you to tailor the messaging and design to a specific audience, which can be more effective than a generic homepage.
- Easier A/B testing: Landing pages are easier to A/B test because they are separate from your website and don’t require as many changes to test different versions.
- Improved analysis: Landing pages provide a clearer picture of how well your marketing campaigns are performing because you can see how many visitors landed on the page and what actions they took.
- Increased credibility: A well-designed landing page can help build credibility and trust with your visitors, which can lead to increased conversions.
In summary, a landing page can be an effective tool for promoting a special program such as subscriptions because it allows you to focus on a specific action, tailor the messaging and design to a specific audience, and track the performance of your marketing campaigns.
#10 Offer Gift Subscriptions
Offering gift subscriptions on your Shopify store can help you earn more revenue in several ways:
- Increased customer lifetime value: Gift subscriptions can help increase the lifetime value of your customers because they can potentially lead to repeat purchases. For example, if a customer buys a gift subscription for a friend, they may be more likely to purchase another gift subscription in the future.
- Expanded customer base: Gift subscriptions can help attract new customers to your store, as they may be more likely to purchase from you if they are receiving a gift.
- Improved customer retention: Offering gift subscriptions can help improve customer retention because it gives customers a reason to continue using your products or services.
- Increased average order value: Gift subscriptions often come with multiple options, such as different subscription lengths or gift packaging. This can lead to increased average order values as customers may be more likely to purchase a longer subscription or add on additional items.
- New revenue streams: Gift subscriptions can create new revenue streams for your store by offering products or services that may not be available for individual purchase.
Gift subscriptions are available as pay as you go, as well as prepaid subscriptions with the Shopify subscription app called Ongoing.
Overall, offering gift subscriptions on your Shopify store can help increase customer lifetime value, expand your customer base, improve customer retention, and create new revenue streams, which can all contribute to increased revenue.
#11 Get Subscription Product Reviews
Product reviews can be extremely helpful for getting more sales on an ecommerce store because they help build confidence, trust, and clout with potential customers.
When shoppers see that other people have purchased and reviewed a product positively, it helps build their confidence in the product and the store.
Reviews also help establish trust with shoppers because they can see that the store values customer feedback and is transparent about the experiences of others.
Additionally, having a large number of positive reviews can give a store more clout, as it shows that the store is reputable and has a track record of satisfied customers.
Overall, product reviews are an important factor in the purchasing decision process and can help increase sales on an ecommerce store.
The Best Shopify Subscription App
If you’re curious about Shopify subscriptions, checkout the best Shopify subscription app called Ongoing today & get started for free!
With Ongoing, Shopify stores can easily and seamlessly offer subscription options to their customers, increasing customer loyalty and predictability of revenue streams.
There are several reasons why Ongoing could be considered the best Shopify subscription app:
- Ease of use: Ongoing is designed to be easy for Shopify store owners to set up and manage, with a user-friendly interface and step-by-step instructions.
- Customization options: Ongoing offers a range of options for Shopify subscription options, allowing store owners to tailor their subscription offerings to meet the specific needs and preferences of their customers.
- Flexibility: Ongoing is flexible, allowing store owners to offer a variety of subscription options, including one-time, recurring, and customizable subscriptions.
- Integration with Shopify: Ongoing integrates seamlessly with the Shopify platform, making it easy for store owners to manage their subscriptions alongside their other products and orders.
- Advanced features: Ongoing includes advanced features such as automatic billing, subscription billing notifications, and a Subscriber Portal, which can help store owners optimize their subscription offerings and drive more sales.
- Excellent customer support: Ongoing has a dedicated customer support team available to help store owners with any questions or issues they may have.
Shopify Subscription 4 More Bonus Tips
- Provide exclusive perks: One way to encourage customers to sign up for a subscription is to offer exclusive perks and discounts. This could include access to limited edition products, special promotions, or early access to new releases.
- Keep your subscribers engaged: Once a customer has signed up for a subscription, it’s important to keep them engaged and interested in your products. This can be achieved through regular communication (such as newsletters or social media updates), offering personalized recommendations, and providing high-quality content.
- Make it easy to sign up and manage subscriptions: The easier it is for customers to sign up and manage their subscriptions, the more likely they will continue using your service. So be sure to offer a seamless sign-up process and make it easy for customers to update their preferences or cancel their subscriptions if needed.
- Test and optimize: As with any aspect of your ecommerce store, it’s important to continually test and optimize your subscription offerings to ensure they are as successful as possible. This could involve A/B testing different pricing tiers, experimenting with different perks, or analyzing customer feedback to identify areas for improvement.
By implementing these strategies, you can position your ecommerce store for success with Shopify subscriptions and drive long-term growth for your business.
Need some more Shopify subscription inspiration for the new year?
Checkout our other Shopify Subscription articles!
Subscription Revenue, How to 3x Online Sales
Ongoing Launches Shopify Gift Subscriptions
10 Shopify Subscription Based Companies We Love ❤️
Shopify Subscription Service, Examples & How to Get Started
Best Shopify Subscription Box App Guide
Subscription Marketing – 11 Ways to CRUSH IT
How to Start a Subscription Box – 8 Easy Steps